Saturday, March 17, 2012

Another Week

My presentation is over. it was a mad rush to get everything prepared. The interview part was only ok. It wasn't the interview of the century and more confirmed what my research warned about, and that is taking care to plan use of Facebook and other social media. Asking students to post or friend is not a good plan. It's much better to tailor your use of social media to the lesson while considering student demographics and status. There were some good comments about my presentation. One comment I saw, but did not address said they would have liked to see more examples of Facebook being used in the class. I would have liked that, too and that's what I expected, but after my research and reflection I probably would have needed to scour the country for instructors using Facebook beyond the let's all post, friend, and perhaps we'll have a community. Perhaps we will see more instructors using it for educational purposes once the newness and others start intentionally using it for education. I liked being able to connect one of the presentations with my own research. The presenter talked about how her interviewee used social media in a somewhat haphazard way and they finally called in a instructional designer. In my research I found which kind of socail media you use will depend on the intention and goal of your program or learning. For instance, most people who use Facebook use it to meet social needs and build relationship. ON the other hand, people who use Twitter do not use it to meet their social needs, but use it for intellectual stimulation. This research would drive how ID will choose which social media to use for which lesson plan. This research may generalize to companies who wish to use Facebook and Twitter, but are unsure how to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment